Wednesday, March 10, 2021

 Here it is 2021, and time has flown by even with the pandemic event. We have been pretty well isolated. trying to stay safe. I still am highly involved in the pottery, but met with a set back in November when my 36+ year old kiln finally reached the point of no return. I have kept it repaired over the years, but when it failed in the middle of a glaze firing I found that too many electrical components needed replacing. Considering the work and cost of parts it was determined by my wife that I should buy a new kiln. I have a new L&L with all of the bells and whistles on order since January, and should receive it by May. I hope to get back to making pots soon, as I need to clean out the old kiln and another kiln that was just too small to make room for the new one. At the same time I will need to store the half fired pieces to finish firing in the new kiln. 


Just as a teaser, I posted this sequence in a single image on Ceramic Arts Daily forum in the Fall of 2020. It shows a sequence of steps for throwing an 8# floor vase. The pictures are in order with the one on the left top showing the centered piece of clay, the top right showing the pulled but thick cylinder.







The left one here shows the cylinder that has been textured. The right image shows the textured area being shaped and further thinning of the top portion of the cylinder


The last three images here show more shaping, and refinement to the form, the thickening of the top rim and the refinement of the rim. The last image shows the bottom of the pot before trimming.




No comments:

Post a Comment